The Deputy Information Minister Nana Ama Dokua Asiamah has bemoaned the lack of stakeholder consultation on the ‘backtracked’ mandatory towing levy.
The Deputy Minister indicated that if there were broader consultations on the levy, they would have come up with better solutions.
‘Apparently, the contract had also been signed. And surprisingly this was the first time Ghanaians were hearing about it. Meaning there was not even enough consultations done before this contract was signed or this Legislative Instrument (LI) was passed. Yet we have Parliamentarians who represented constituents in Parliament,’ she said.
The Akufo-Addo’s government backtracked its decision to enforce levy after it was heavily criticised by the public.
The Deputy Minister admitted that there was not enough education on the signed contract wondering why the then Members of Parliament (MPs) failed to sensitise their constituents and the citizens as a whole.
She failed to blame MPs for failing to do due diligence on deliberations of the policy which is set to be sent back to Parliament for review hoping that they engage in a firm debate.
‘I cannot hold brief for MPs who were in Parliament then, because I am in the new administration and a new Parliamentarian. Just as we all know nobody heard about it when it was being passed till now, I don’t know how covertly it was signed, or handled,’ she complained.
Speaking on Ultimate Breakfast Show hosted by Lantam Papanko, Nana Ama indicated that the Akufo-Addo’s government was only trying to enforce the law.
‘We voted for change and I sincerely believe change has come, before we came into power, an LI had been passed. We came to meet this situation. Its not a situation we brought up on ourselves, as a government we came to meet this from a previous administration, and this LI was passed for the National Road Safety Commission back in 2012,’ she said.
The levy was scheduled to commence on July 1, 2017 but a statement issued by the Minister of Transport, Kwaku Ofori Asiamah on August 20, 2017 explained that the decision follows extensive consultations between the Minister of Transport and stakeholders in the transport sector.
‘New modalities for dealing with the problem of broken down or disabled vehicles will be formulated and announced in due course,’ the statement added.