A Women’s Right Advocates, Alliance for Women in Media Africa (AWMA) has presented a petition to the Ghana Police Service -National Headquarters in Accra following the defilement of a 4-year old girl at Assin Dadientem in the Central Region.
The women group after issuing a statement to condemn the act today (Friday) visited the police requesting for the arrest and prosecution of the suspect who has gone unpunished after the case was reported to the police in the area.
The victim, according to her mother has not been able to walk, stand nor pass urine after the incident.
The chief in the area is reported to have declared the suspect innocent after consulting a deity.
The women group will also be presenting a copy of the petition to Parliament to seek justice for the victim.
The group in their petition are requesting for ‘The immediate transfer of the case to the National Police headquarters in Accra, due to the lackadaisical attitude of the Municipal Police Command in handling the case.
- Immediate arrest of the suspect as well as the chief of the area pending full investigations
- A Special prosecutor to immediately handle the investigation
- Immediate arrangement of the case before a competent Court of jurisdiction
- Immediate medical attention for the victim in Accra by the Social Welfare Department and the Ministry of Gender, Children and Social Protection
- Support and protection for the mother and child who may become targets of families and friends of the alleged suspect’.
Check out photos: